Cinnamon is a popular scent and spice during the Fall and Christmas…however, I prefer it year round! I add cinnamon to many teas, desserts, and snacks because of the taste and benefits. One of the benefits of cinnamon that became important to me during my second pregnancy was that it lowers your blood sugar. I had gestational diabetes with my son. It was a HUGE adjustment for me. I ate more snacks and even more tea with cinnamon mixed in. I wanted to try anything that could help.
Some of the other benefits that I have learned about are: anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and antimicrobial properties, antioxidant benefits, and neurodegenerative disease benefits. The history of cinnamon is incredible. I’ve learned, that cinnamon at one point was more valuable than gold and was used as a form of medicine for certain things.
From reading my previous posts, you have learned that I am a chai fanatic. Chai has lots of cinnamon in it. I have bought cinnamon sticks, chips, and powder to put into tea. Some great homemade teas are:
- almond milk simmering on the stove with cinnamon and just black tea. You can also add in nutmeg, ginger, all spice, and clove to make more of a pumpkin spice tea
- hot water, lemon, and cinnamon chips or powder
- green tea and cinnamon
I will add cinnamon to truly any tea that I may have, even if it’s just a pinch. My go to snacks with cinnamon are:
- apples and cinnamon or apples with cinnamon and peanut/almond butter
- sweet potatoes sliced with olive oil and cinnamon baked in the oven
- bananas, peanut butter, and cinnamon on toast
- cinnamon mixed in yogurt
- any muffin recipe with cinnamon mixed in
What are your favorite snacks or drinks with cinnamon?